which I read as a lost soul post college 23 year old in 2003 on the verge of homelessness, the last pages of which I finished while sitting with friendly strangers in a booth at blunt brothers,
the pot cafe, which has since burned down.
I remember being so thrilled about the book I gave it to a guy I was sitting with and had only just met. I said you should have this, read it, it's great. I also gave that temporary friend, as all booth buddies at blunt bros were friends in the moment, my website address. a website where I wrote my early twenties college angst honest experiences in some confessional it's-so-awful-it's-hilarious manner. the website and domain name was something my real life actual brother had gifted me. the same real life bro who had introduced me to Dave Eggers writing.
weeks later my blunt bros friend wrote on my website in response to a post of mine, thanking me for the book and shared pot and inspiration and also wrote his own interesting confessional prose. it was the exciting beginning of something. the sharing of a joint, a book, words, experiences. it was pleasing, uniting. even more so because usually friends made at blunt bros would come and go. usually never heard from again. it was just the way and that was okay. but this seemed like the beginning of what could be many new great connections. it was before twitter, instagram, facebook, etc.
shortly after that, my bro, who had started the website for me, inexplicably deleted the website. later he told me he got busy planning his wedding and forgot to renew the domain name. that was the end of that.
then today, here and now, in 2013, on twitter, someone tweeted a link to the brilliant and funny McSweeney's website. I clicked it, read it, loved it, and remembered all of this. then I downloaded the McSweeney's app, because that is a thing now. and then I wrote this.
hey, the future is okay. let's talk, inhale, write, and read together.
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/3414.html
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/microsoft-word-problems
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Heartbreaking_Work_of_Staggering_Genius



No comments:
Post a Comment